In general, Zagreb sucks. There’s literally nothing to do it and it’s a dark pit of depression. Hopefully I can help make your stay a little less shit with a few quick tips, though:
- Only go during the weekend. For five days a week, everything is dead. Fridays and Saturdays show slight signs of liveliness but are still nothing too exciting. People don’t understand what’s wrong with you if you want to drink or do something any other day of the week.
- Grab the free buses. Buses run all over the city and are quite punctual. They’re also completely free. I don’t think they’re supposed to be, but the receptionist at the hostel said it was and the rest of the week was filled with free bus journeys. Nobody ever asked to see a ticket when getting on or off, which was often due to this being a large city with each boring area spread out across it.
- Zagreb prices are weird. Like with most major/capital cities, accommodation is rather expensive. Even hostels on the outskirts cost quite a lot. Eating out is also a bit on the pricey side, however your money can go quite a long way on drinks and general goods. I stayed in a hostel with no kitchen but didn’t want to go poor by eating in restaurants on top of my expensive hostel, so lived on loafs of bread from Aldi. It was a dark time.
- Cheap wine pre-drinks. It became a common thing for me in Europe; buying a big 2 litre bottle of wine from weird supermarkets for less than a pound. It’s not as bad as the cheapest shit back home and it gets you where you want to go. Pop into any generic supermarket and just go for the cheapest stuff; it all tastes exactly the same.
- Don’t stay long. There is honestly absolutely nothing to do. You’ll end up Googling stuff to do more often than you’re doing stuff because when you go out to find something you’ve read about… it’s rubbish. My 6(?) days in Zagreb was 6 too many.
Basically, don’t go. Zagreb was meant to be just a stop-off before continuing to Split, but due to a restriction on Hostelworld I stayed far too long. Hop on the first train out of this grey, depressing shit-hole and continue down south to the more beautiful and active side of Croatia.