I worked as a UX Designer to re-imagine and re-boot some of the top titles at Paper Street Games. The original Crosswords app had gained traction across multiple platforms but was receiving too many negative reviews and not converting players to sales, so I was tasked with designing a friendly and understandable environment for players to get their daily crossword fix and to view various libraries of content where they could find the puzzles they want to play.
The app was going to be updated with new puzzles, puzzle sizes, puzzle packs and more. This meant creating a basic library template that could accomodate plenty of new content being fed into it over time. It also meant I had to tackle the idea of puzzles being varying shapes and sizes; how they would look on-screen and how users would interact with them.
I completely scrapped the colour schemes and design as soon as I started. The old app felt overcrowded without having anything to offer and didn’t feel like a product made for premium devices like the iPad. Crosswords are very black-and-white, as were the devices people used the app on, so it made sense to keep the design of the app in-line with this environment and use colours carefully to make parts of the screen jump out to customers. This approach ended in colours only being used for what the user is currently interacting with, but also highlighting products for sale to make users subconsciously feel like they were already involved in the products for sale because they were coloured – a signal usually used to highlight current interactivity.
The Data Says…
Reviews improved from an average of 3/5 across all platforms, to 4.5/5 across all platforms. The amount of users purchasing content improved from 5% across all platforms to 18% across all platforms. The average amount of money spent on content by paying customers improved from £1.80 to £3.70 per customer. User retention numbers over a 30-day period quadrupled. Whilst it’s hard to pin down the specific reasoning for each peice of data, I am happy with the end product we created and the successful targets that were met with it.